Friday, December 4, 2009

love of reading


I consider it a great goal in parenting to nurture a love of reading. I know each child is different, they are all on different time tables and they are all allowed to have their own "loves". But I truly do desire for all my kids to really enjoy reading!

Viktoriya and Aidan will spend hours reading and I have to break them away. My other 3 are still needing to be nudged but I do not believe that late (accelerated) reading is a handicap when you home school as it may be if your child is public schooled. The simple fact is that if you make learning fun, they'll love to learn. If we're stressed about it, so will they be stressed. I'll admit I was stressed at the beginning of this year. It seemed learning was going to be a struggle for my younger two boys. Yet, to my surprise and delight, they are cruising right along and having fun while they're learning.

I have put together a list of ways to encourage a love of reading. I want to remember these things I've learned over the last year or so when my twins are reading to start reading. Please share any ideas you may have found helpful.

~Set the learning "table" like a great feast...a little of this a little of that...all delicious.

~Keep your attitude light and encouraging...even if you're frustrated on the inside. Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity when teaching reading. Have you heard of fake it till you make it? This worked for me! lol

~Select books they'll love to read, then sneak in the necessities at other times. Read aloud with excitement and if you do the voices, they'll be glued.

~Don't be afraid to read seemingly "boring" poetry. I've been surprised at how much they love it!

~Read all summer long outdoors! After running, climbing and general wearing-out, they are often the best listeners!

~Kids LOVE to put on plays. Have them act out each chapter in place of their oral narration.

~Take turns choosing the books for read-aloud. I have a choice of three and each boy chooses in rotation.

~Allow them to build something or play with something quiet as you read, they're little hands can be busy, but their minds are actually paying attention to you!

~Keeping the time for reading aloud at a regularly scheduled time helps them to look forward to it rather than it coming here and there and interrupting something they would rather be doing.

~My boys have loved our weekly library bookshelf where I put books they're only allowed to read at a certain time (when I'm working with another child one-on-one and need quiet). I pick out mostly picture books that they'll love and save them for when I really need them to be quiet.
~The interest I show in reading with them truly spills over into their little hearts! Halle LOVES to be read to and I've noticed that I tend to be excited to read to her more. Perhaps Hope has picked up on this. Always something to work on!

Please comment and share ways you encourage a love of learning/reading in your home!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Becca- Great topic! This is one of my parenting priorities too. I feel that a child can't get too many books or too much music. I find the library to be our biggest gift. We always get picture books, but once the kids discovered "the big books" on topics like animals, science, even comic books, they were hooked. I never say no to a book. What's great is they choose differnt topics but always end up reading the others' selections as well. I tend to purchase our chapter books, as they take us longer. Also I think they will have wonderful memories of them and want to hold the books that were read to them. As they get older, I look for varied vocabulary in the chapter books we choose. It brings up interesting conversations to hear how people spoke 100 years ago.
AS a little tip, I'd highly reccomend the collapisable rolling cart from fred meyer for $20. Those books get heavy!
I'll be curious to hear how others go about the reading journey.
:)Rachel

Becca said...

Love your ideas Rachel! There is always so much to learn and so many ways to encourage the reading journey in our homes! I hope some others might chime in too...