Friday, December 18, 2009

Galatians 6:1 Parenting

I'm loving the book I'm {slowly} reading right now... Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character in You and Your Kids! by Turansky and Miller.

It would be an excellent choice for a Christian Parenting class to do together because at the end of each chapter there are questions for discussion with scripture to help dig deeper.

At the end of the chapter I read last night they talked about the godly ways of correction found in Galatians 6:1. I've never thought of this in relation to parenting but it is good, especially for teenagers.

Gal 6:1 Dear brothers and sisters, if another Christian is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself.

Gal 6:2 Share each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ.

Gal 6:3 If you think you are too important to help someone in need, you are only fooling yourself. You are really a nobody.

Gal 6:4 Be sure to do what you should, for then you will enjoy the personal satisfaction of having done your work well, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.

Gal 6:5 For we are each responsible for our own conduct.

Isn't this a beautiful and truthful example of how to correct a child or teen who is straying. One of own struggles is getting into an argument with my kids instead of focusing only on the behavior, being careful to not be led into a boxing match. So I am trying to more gently and humbly focus on the sin itself and what needs to happen differently, being careful to not attack their character, and guide them back onto the right path.

So we're aiming to 1) Help carry their burdens, while not falling into the same sin (such as arguing in my case), 2) Watch that you have an attitude of humility (they respond so much better!, 3) Test your own actions and 4) Remember the goal...Restoring them gently.

They show how to focus on what they did wrong, using your words only, and if they do not respond well to the discussion they go take a break to think about it. This is not the obligatory, punishment type time out. It's a break to calm themselves and return ready for correction. Then if they respond positively, great. If not you may need to add a consequence. Then, and I love this part, always strive for a "positive conclusion" where they have hope that they can make a better choice next time.

I highly recommend this book :o)

5 comments:

Shonni said...

I love this post. I hope you don't mind that I am linking to this post. Thank you so much for your precious heart which is so encouraging to me.

Jaime G. said...

beautiful post (i came over here from Shonni's)
you have an amazingly beautiful family.

Unknown said...

I saw our post and I just wanted to thank you for sharing what you're learning from our book. Have a great Christmas. --Scott Turansky

Jean said...

Too cool- I just read your comments!! I can't believe you heard from the author! I just went to Amazon and ordered that book and another one of his books!

Shonni sent me here- love your post! I can't wait to read the book!
Thank you!!
Jean

Becca said...

I know how cool is that!?! Truly you won't be dissapointed in one of his books! I also loved Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids Thank-you all for your sweet words :o)