Monday, June 9, 2008

Mountains and Meadows....

Great post Becca!

As the name of our blog indicates, this is about the 'ups and downs' as we make the journey. To reach the summit, we must endure long, steep and difficult climbs. There will be obstacles, dark valleys, unexpected storms, and setbacks of all sorts. In God we find rest in those wonderful meadows we encounter along the way. While tempting, we can't linger in this comfort zone, but catch our breath, recharge, and press on.

I'm reminded of my first hiking memories. I recall that little green army pack and the thin straps eventually 'cutting' into my little 3yr old shoulders. Each step getting harder and harder as I focused on the pain and lost sight of the goal. Complaining began quickly. I just wanted another break.

"Why are we doing this?"

When the break is granted, and the burden (pack) lifted from my shoulders, I feel a sudden surge of energy. I'm almost floating I feel so light. I quickly recharge, refocus, and after a spell, pick up that pack and start hiking. But very quickly the pain comes back. The whining comes back. "Are we there yet?" "Can we stop? "

I look back and ask my dad for help. He's got a pack bigger than mine and my brothers combined. Heck, it probably weighs about as much as both of us combined! He isn't complaining or whining. He offers words of encouragement and motivation. He helps us remember the goal and joy we'll find when we reach our final destination.

It goes on like this for some time. One step in front of the other. Pressing on. But eventually we do make it, despite the pain, complaining, and lack of focus on my part. I see the camping area just ahead and the beautiful lake and yes, trout jumping!!

Its then that I realize something... I see my dad who has been slightly behind Joe and I. He has his hands on the back of our packs lifting them gently. He was there all along for me when I needed him most. Never did I have to endure the burden alone. Were I to rely on my own will, focus, and strength I would have crumpled miles back. But a good father is there for you and wants to help you succeed and wants to push you hard, but never give you more than you can really handle.

My dad was a good father. And our Lord and Savior is such a Father to us as well.

Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Becca, we are on this climb together. And together, with God’s mercy and grace, we’ll reach that summit. And sometimes I’ll need to help carry your pack, and you will need to help me with mine - and always, God will have HIS hands on our burdens ready to gently lift when we need it most. But as I’ve been taught by my dad as well as my Father in heaven, that’s just what good hiking buddies do for each other!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Chad I love you so much! Thank-you! You're the best hiking buddy and best friend I could've been given. God knew how much I needed you and I'll never take you for granted...