Monday, January 19, 2009

a special surprise


Sometimes God blesses you more than you deserve and it's hard to accept! Actually more often than not, we are unworthy of His gifts, aren't we? The free gifts He gives like littles one giggles and witnessing the joy of siblings caring for one another. Or watching the pure happiness of a dog running like the wind trying to catch his boy. And then there are those gifts worth many many dollars. These are equally humbling.
I was blessed with a HUGE gift and I keep thinking I cannot accept! I haven't figured what to do.

I keep peeking in boxes, and then shut them quickly, feeling like I'm looking through someone else's things! Am I being silly??? Is it pride??? Or is it truly a gift too large to accept, even when given by a Believer only wishing to show God's love and blessings?

In the boxes and bins pictured above are SO very many homeschool supplies. Books, books and more books, loving and painstakingly gathered unit studies with crafts and games and the love of learning packed in!!! Sonlight, Shurley Grammar, Exploring Creation with Physical Science, and one I didn't even know I wanted yet... Heroes of History, Maps of the US, Maps of the World and on and on and....

even a microscope! It's overwhelming and I'm not sure I can accept it all...

*Edited to add, I listened to my mom, and I've begun unpacking. This gift is straight from Him to me, through an earthen vessel. Guess what I found? These two books... "Dim sum, Bagels,and Grits: A Sourcebook for Multicultural Families." by Myra Alperson and Adoption as a Ministry, Adoption as a Blessing by Michelle Gardner. How cool is that!?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is often more difficult to be on the receiving end than it is to be on the giving end. However, I also think it is important to accept a "gift" in the spirit which it is given...and be grateful. Case in point -- a certain camera!! I love you, daughter of mine!
Now -- sit down and write a thank you note. Then, get to work with all the wonderful inventory you have been given.
Grandma Sharon

Joanie said...

The gift of a legacy of learning! He will guide and direct your path for every wonderful gift inside each box.

Perhaps you could do as we often did ~ be open to "lending" a curriculum you're not currently utilizing to another family who could use it (keep careful records of what was lent and when - it was helpful to me; both what we temporarily shared with others and what was shared with us ~ and the condition it was in. Also, we usually agreed on a time for materials to be returned by.)

Great advice, Sharon! Hugs to you both... :o)

Rebecca said...

That's a great idea Joanie! I do have a friend who is going to borrow a few books. It will make me feel better knowing they will be shared and of course I pass them on the second we're done!!

Joanie said...

Glad to share an idea with you, though I did figure you would discover it yourself...

Enjoy these blessings! How exciting for you and the family! :o)