Saturday, January 3, 2009

my 2009 goal

is to read a book a week, not counting the boys' books I read along side them

If President Bush had time to read 95 books in 2006, (but not so many in 2007 and 2008) I can read 52. ;o)

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Anyone care to join me in a book-loving resolution? Not a competition such as Bush's and the above articles author Karl Rove but just a goal of sorts?
But it will be a three-peat for me: as of today, his total is 40 volumes to my 64. His reading this year included a heavy dose of history -- including David Halberstam's The Coldest Winter," Rick Atkinson's "Day of Battle," Hugh Thomas's "Spanish Civil War," Stephen W. Sears's "Gettysburg" and David King's "Vienna 1814." There's also plenty of biography -- including U.S. Grant's "Personal Memoirs"; Jon Meacham's American Lion"; James M. McPherson's "Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief" and Jacobo Timerman's "Prisoner Without a Name, Cell Without a Number." Each year, the president also read the Bible from cover to cover, along with a daily devotional.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

Your trip to Suncadia looks like a special memory for everyone! The pictures are amazing and I'm completely jealous... :o) So glad you received this special blessing!

Book challenge: our family discussed it and we're going to commit to a book-a-month, for I didn't want to lose my love of reading and suddenly feel pressured to read and read and read! Will be amazing if you read 52 books this year. Can't wait to hear at the end of 2009 how you did. I'm going to keep track of mine on the sidebar of my blog.

Rebecca said...

Hi Joanie, I may regret setting such a lofty goal but for me I tend to say one book a month then I go slow, but when I'm on track I tend to keep chugging along. Did that make sense? I'm only on my first cup of coffee ;o)

What a fun idea, to do it together as a family! How blessed you are to have children of the age to do that and that they will enjoy doing it with you! I'll check out your sidebar, good luck and happy reading!