Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Our laundry system...

Granted I only have a few readers and most don't have a large family and some have even more! {Shonni!!!} but people do ask how I keep up with laundry for 9 and so I thought I would share! This combined with our shoe/sock system for the boys has made everyday life easier. Being organized makes a world of difference in how peaceful our home is.

We have bins on one side of the wall; we fold and sort right into the bins. The three on the top shelf are for Chad, kitchen towls/rags, Becca. The three on the bottom shelf are for Annah/Toriya, Hope/Halle, Aidan/Ethan/Ryland. Under the shelf is a laundry sorter for lights,mediums,darks and when Ry brings in all the laundry he sorts them into the bins for me. I do all the starting and switching of the loads. And Toriya does all the folding and sorting (she and Annah switch monthly). It really works. I can't remember a time since this system was implemented that I've been behind on laundry...even with my back hurt...I just taught Toriya how to start and switch loads!
The only thing I don't recommend? Leaving your detergent on top of the washer. We woke to this on Sunday morning after a wild load of my bathroom rugs made the washer bounce. Sigh.

My smart husband was so kind to clean it up and save a bowl full! {My back was out at the time.} He used a dustpan and a spatula!

And here is our shoe and sock area for the boys. It's right outside the laundry room and the boys socks go right into the bins. I try to only have the same type of socks so they all match. Works for me!

7 comments:

Aleah said...

Laundry soap is no fun to clean up! Never thought of a dust pan! I'll have to remember that.
Love your laundry room! I'm realizing how small ours is now! basically just room to turn around. : )
Great pictures on your blog and love your layout!

Shonni said...

I was wondering about your shoe/sock system. I'm such a visual person, so it helps me to "see" something. And I love the colorful bins...what fun!
and (LOL), I am so sorry about the soap!

Becca said...

Aleah, ours is pretty small too...the picture makes it look bigger; to the left of the shelf is a sink then the door out; right next to the washer is the door to the garage...two people cannot fit folding or sorting together.

Shonni, that little bookcase thing was pretty cheap at Target.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the visual of your laundry system. Our laundry room is basically chaos, but I am now feeling inspired! What do you do with out-of-season clothes or things that you are saving for younger kids?

The Three Amigos said...

Good to know! I'm inspired. Laundry is always an issue here even with no kids at home all day and its just the 3 of us. I'm working on getting Anna to help a bit...but we are lacking in organization. Totally. My laundry is in the garage and there is no space. I'm hopeful though that when we move, we will get a laundry room...its on my "I want" list. ;D And, I'm hoping that we will cut down the amount of clothes we have. We have way too much. I know I won't have much the next couple of months but I'm glad I haven't gotten rid of much! I will have clothes that fit for quite a while!!!

nikki said...

I totally just had that same laundry soap incident, but also on my washer was my cell phone. Just so you know, soap and phones don't mix!!!

I'm thinking the shoe sock thing might work for me and the kids (we all wear the same socks so I just by one size and style!) Do you fold the socks or just leave them single?

I was going to do baskets, but never got to it!

Becca said...

Hey Lisa, I have a couple plastic bins up in the top of the boys closet for seasonal/larger sizes. The twins have a couple bins in the garage since they only have an armoire in the their room.

Hi Nikki, I just leave the socks single and the boys just grap two that match!