Monday, February 16, 2009

covenant

A man of integrity, honor; gentle and kind
how I dreamed of the day, when God brought him to me
At 18 years old, a tad early I thought
a man stole my heart, my hand, my life
At age 21, a covenant made


We joined together, in all, not in some
to tarry here as long as He allows, as long as likes
Loving one another through trials
through joys, never to loose our way
With our faith rock solid, our determination doubled


We dance and we cry, whole or broken
together, we're a cord of three
not easily separated, not easily torn
We pray and we're humbled
built up and strengthened


Bruised in an instant, hot tears from words spilt
hearts unguarded, soft and tender to pain
Never to sleep though, before making amends
our Holy Spirit, a watch over our lips
In Him, quickly willing to forgive, to forget


To gently lift, to build, to support
allowing the Holy Spirit to flow through us
into each other and out through our children
How much He has taught us! How faithful is our God!
no matter our trial, tribulation or fear


In loyalty and honor and daily choices
this covenant of ours, will always be near,
on my heart, in my head, on my lips
My only one, may you always know
my commitment to you


Snuggled close, tender and loved
I'm surprised to not fear growing old
My hearts twin, my one true love by my side!
exploring great adventure, in stillness on our knees
in joy, in health, in sadness, in sickness


In health, I expected, but my heart skipped a beat
in sickness, a promise honored, your covenant was true
My man of integrity, how I will always trust you
reliable, sure, certain, determined...you are
and you are mine

How happy, how honored, how blessed, I am
to live this coventant with you

1 comment:

Chad said...

After all these years and I've never read a poem from you??!!?! You've been holding out! That is SOOO sweet and a great valentine gift :)

Looking forward to many great years to come, and many new suprises to experience together :)

"What God has joined together, let no man seperate"