Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stillness

Whether you turn to the right or to the left,
your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying,
“This is the way; walk in it.”
Isaiah 30:21


I just love how God speaks to my heart when I need Him most. The hard part is I have to be still and quiet to hear Him and I'm often moving to quickly to do that. He gave me five children to care for and teach and sometimes I feel so insufficient for the task. I love to be organized and on top of things but with 7 to do laundry and dishes for I feel so behind and I hate that! I want to be caught up on scrapbooks, finish painting every room, and even get the yard looking respectable. That sandal I can see out my kitchen window has been under the trampoline for a month! More importantly I want to know that each boy is getting all the encouragement, instruction, attention and direction he needs. I want to make sure Chad is happy and loved and that I maintain that solid foundation for our home. I want to remember all my family and friends birthdays. I want to know to make all the right choices with my time and I know I am not. Sometimes I'm too tired to do the most important thing. I'd love to have spring cleaned and gotten all those things done I had on my list for May but now it's September and they'll have to wait until next year. I struggle with guilt of not meeting everyone's needs and constant thoughts of the future. What needs to be done regarding the girls adoption, should I be homeschooling, the new Calvary Chapel Monroe, etc etc. It can be overwhelming and it seems like 24 hrs is definitely not enough to do what HAS to be done.

Just when my day has been so busy that I'm dizzy and exhausted, I see Aidan cuddling Hope and hear him tell her how happy he is God brought her to us! It's all worth it!!!Tucking Ryland in last night he told me that he loved me more than any grown up could ever get loved by a little boy (to the moon and the stars and Jesus in heaven and back again). With Aidan in school for 6.5 hours (far too long!!) and Ethan for 2.5 hrs, he and I are getting to spend more time together; he lives for craft time after the girls go down for their morning nap. I know I am meeting his needs. :o) And Ethan on our special date last night told me that sometimes he has felt like Daddy and I care more about the babies than them but that after our time together he knows that's not true.

I realize that all I have to do is the next right thing and sit at His feet every morning and walk in His spirit throughout the day. It is all good and no matter what comes our way, His love will quiet my heart, reminding me that each day lived for Him will have eternal worth.

"STAND STILL," my soul, for so thy Lord commands:
Even when thy way seems blocked, leave it in His wise hands;
His arm is mighty to divide the wave.
"Stand still, my soul, "stand still" and thou shalt see
How God can work the "impossible" for thee,
For with a great deliverance He does save.
Be not impatient, but in stillness stand,
Even when compassed; round on every hand,
In ways thy spirit does not comprehend.
God cannot clear the way till thou art still,
That He may work in Thee His blessed will,
And all thy heart and will to Him do bend.
"BE STILL," my soul for just as thou art still,
Can God reveal Himself to thee; until
Through thee His love and light and life can freely flow;
In stillness God can work though thee and reach
The souls around thee. He then through thee can teach
His lessons, and His power in weakness show.
"BE STILL" ~ deeper step in faith and rest.
"Be still and know" thy Father knowest best
The way to lead His child to that fair land,
A "summer" land, where quiet waters flow;
Where longing souls are satisfied and know their God,
And praise for all that He has planned.
~Mrs. Charles E Cowman

6 comments:

Unknown said...

(this is kim from oct 01)
I realize that all I have to do is the next right thing and sit at His feet every morning and walk in His spirit throughout the day.

Becca more than once your words have been there for me just when I needed them! Thank you! And God Bless you and your amazing family!@

Aleah said...

I love what Ryland said to you, so sweet!
Thanks for this wonderful post..it's nice to know we moms often feel the same.

Take care,
Aleah

Laurie and Alan said...

I remember when I was doing my in-home daycare (25+ years ago) I felt so inadequit(sp?) (compared to other "career" women), exhausted, lonely, and guilty. It was/is sooo hard. I compared myself with all those other sucesessful ladies out there. Years later... those same ladies started realizing that they were missing out on most of their kids lives and quit their jobs or went to part time.
I knew that God wanted me right where I was at but it was so hard sometimes, especially when my "career" friends would ask me looking down their noses, "what do you d-o a-l-l day?"
God has you right where you are at and it's for a reason, those precious children of yours. All you can do is give them your best. The laundry, garden, scrapbooks, even the sandal under the trampoline all can wait...you will look back on these days spent with your kids as a gift from our Heavenly Father! And that sandal as a reminder! : )

Laurie

Rebecca said...

Thanks so much girls! You lifted my spirit tonite to read these. :o) Laurie, I do think often, like you said, about the reminder... I'll trip over a toy or a game we had out together and just think it was so worth it. The messes are worth their weight in gold. Sigh. Now to get to bed at nearly 1:00 am...

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is almost as cool as your scrap-booking! Very professional and informative. I am at work so I can't elaborate very much, so i just wanted to let you know how blessed I was to read this blog site!

Anonymous said...

Need I say, ofcourse we want to be on your list. We want continue to read your blod updates.

Rick and Cheryl